Sunday, April 8, 2018

Oil and Water Photography

Oil and water photography is an interesting form of abstract photography where you combine oil and water (and sometimes dish soap) and capture the bubbles that are produced. In order to do this, I first tried water, dish soap, and oil (in that order) in a clear glass casserole dish but it didn't produce the results I wanted. Then I just did the oil and water in the dish and that worked a lot better. What I did was propped the dish up on some coasters and slid a lace doily underneath the dish for some shots, a coaster for others, and the doily over the coaster as well. You can also add food coloring to the water as well, or you can add color later on in the editing process, which is what I did. 
Here are my top 3 tips for taking oil and water photographs-
1) Be patient, this was a very long and sometimes annoying shoot for me because at first it didn't go the way I wanted it to. I learned to just breathe and remain patient in order to get the shot.
2) You can use a straw or like chopstick in order to move the bubbles around to get them where you want them to be. 
3) Lastly, make sure you are using a camera that has a good zoom, I used my iPhone camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment