Sunday, August 27, 2017

Self-Portrait Tips and Tricks


A few months ago, I wrote a post on how to take great portraits. I included self-portraits in that post, but I wanted to expand on my tips in today’s post. Self-portraits are a fun way to experiment with your camera and with different poses. With self-portraits, you can feel free to experiment a lot more than you might if you were doing someone else’s portraits. This is because you have more freedom to take the portraits how you want to do them without having to worry about anyone else except for yourself. Read on to learn how to take some amazing “selfies”!







Here are my top 5 tips on how to take your own portraits –
1)      Like mentioned in the portrait post, I would recommend using a camera that either has a flip screen, or a screen that you can see (like an iPhone). This makes it easier to pose yourself and to see how your facial expressions look.
2)      I would also recommend using props that fit your personality – like an old camera if you are into photography!
3)      Don’t be afraid to get silly and dance around while you are experimenting! This is how I started out, just moving around and finding out what pose worked best for me, and sometimes I even got some photographs of myself mid-twirl!
4)      I would highly recommend investing in a tripod if you are serious about doing your own portraits. Some of them are fairly cheap, and work really well – or you can get the more expensive ones if you so choose. However, they help to stabilize your camera while you are doing your portraits.
5)      My last tip is to set the timer on your camera. I usually set mine for ten seconds so that I can get back to my spot and get my pose ready before the photograph is taken. One other thing that I have found helpful sometimes is to set your timer, and then set your camera to take a series of photographs as well. This helps so that you are not running back and forth between each pose – you can get a few done instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment