Sunday, July 29, 2018

Carnival Photoshoot - Fail?

The carnival was in town this week, so last night Emily and I decided to try to do some portraits there. Before I go in depth with our experience, take a look at the photographs below.







Looking at these pictures, I know that this is not my best work. However, as an artist you have to be willing to admit when it is not your best work, and sometimes you have to be willing to share it even though you know it isn't up to par. I'm sharing these shots because there are a few things I wanted to say about our experience during this shoot. Looking at them, you can clearly tell that Emily is uncomfortable and that is partially because I was uncomfortable as well. The reason we were so uncomfortable is because 1) there was a lot of people crowded together in such a small area and 2) a lot of those people were just watching us. I obviously had my camera with me and planned to shoot using that, but the amount of people staring resulted in us not wanting to draw any more attention to ourselves, so I pulled out my iPhone in order to try and get a few shots. Now don't get me wrong, it's human nature to be curious and want to see what someone is doing - especially if they have a decent sized camera with them and a model posing. However, it is a completely different thing when you stare and watch a shoot for longer than just a passing glance without permission from the photographer and model. It makes us uncomfortable and that results in our work suffering. Other than that, I obviously don't like having a bunch of random people standing in the background of our shots, but that was unavoidable here because of how crowded it was. I really wanted this shoot to work out because I love the look of carnival photography, but it just wasn't in the cards for us last night. Hopefully we can make it to a carnival with bigger grounds in the future so that the crowd is more spread out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment